Preperation for climate change
The impact of our changing climate is felt across the globe, we already get to experience more extreme weather events. A strong concerted drive towards emissions reductions will help dampen the worst of these changes, but there will still be noticeable effects. In any case, the future climate will be more unpredictable and it is good to consider how to reduce the impact this has on your business. Planning ahead to do so is called climate adaptation and serves to increase resilience against extreme weather events. Most prominently your business can face the effects of:
- Damage due to excess of water as a result of cloudbursts, (localised) flooding and intense hailstorms;
- Lack of water availability resulting from drought and water scarcity events;
- Intense heat resulting in heat stress, heat induced illness and productivity loss.
Practical solutions to adapt and thus reduce the extreme weathers impact, can be applied on-site or in the local environment. This consists of solutions focused on the building itself or spatial measures. Consider for instance applying white paint to roofs, create green roofs, add (natural) shading to tackle heat stress, or creating porous pavement solutions for increasing water infiltration.
How we can help
We offer a range of services to help you understand the future needs around adaptation. Whether you are just starting out or already know what you want to do, we can help you to develop or finetune your strategic and practical choices around climate adaptation action. Specifically, we can help by:
- Scoping and understanding the impact of extreme weather events on your business (materiality);
- Providing insights into potential solutions and measures that could be applied for your site(s);
- Quantify the effect of adaptation measures before decision making;
- Develop a comprehensive companywide climate adaptation strategy.